Postgraduate Representation at the University is overseen by the Director of Education and the Postgraduate Academic Convenor. They work alongside a dedicated group of PGT and PGR Reps to ensure that your views are heard at a university level. The Students' Association is committed to ensuring that all its students are supported through the academic represnetaion system. We therefore endeavour to build a representation system that works for everyone.
What is the PG Representation System?
The PGT and PGR President Roles were proposed and created during the 2020/21 academic year to fill a gap in mid-level representation for postgraduates. These roles perform a similar function to the Faculty Presidents in the undergraduate system. However, the distinction between PGT/PGR qualification levels was deemed to be more significant for PG students than the Arts/Sciences faculty split.
The PGT and PGR President were created so that postgraduate representatives are supervised by postgradute leaders who are better able to suppor them. In the past, PG Reps were supervised by undergraduate School Presidents who expressed that it was challenging to speak on behalf of postgraduate students and that they generally didn't know how best to help their PG Reps. PG Reps felt similarly disconnceted from their School Presidents. Additionally, when surveyed, PG students reported that they felt less comfortable sharing feedback with undergraduate students than postgraduate students. For these reasons, it was determined that a new supervisory structure for PG Reps was essential.
Click here to read the full Postgraduate Representation Report.
PG Academic Convenor
See here for more details.
PGT and PGR Presidents
- Estimated 10-15 hours per week
- Chair appropriate PGT/PGR Forum
- Attend PG Academic Forum
- Communicate and collaborate with the PG Officers
- Collect feedback from relevant PG Reps and the wider PG student body
- Carry issues/opportunities from the School level to the University level
- Analyse and discuss issues with University staff > partner with staff to create changes > report results back to reps to be communicated with students
- Report reguarly to the PG Academic Convenor (line manager)
- One each for Part-time; Distance Learning and Commuting; International; Graduate Teaching postgraduates
- Line managed by the PG Academic Convenor
- Attend PG Academic Forum
- Collect feedback from the relevant cohort and report issues at the appropriate level
- Participate in PG Reps training
- Estimated c. 10 hours per week
How To Get Involved
Elections for PGT President, PGR President, PG Officers and PG Reps will be held in October. Check back here for more information soon!