Step 1: Complete the New Society Request Form.
Make sure you check out all our existing societies here
to confirm that the society you want to start doesn't already exist! You will not be able to affiliate if the aims and activities of your society clash with any existing societies.
The Societies Committee will discuss your request at their weekly Wednesday committee meeting and you will hear by the following Friday. The committee's decision may be to:
a. Grant you Leave to Proceed (LTP) to formally start the affiliation process;
b. Conditionally grant you LTP, which means that the committee requires more information about your society OR you need to gain approval from existing societies with similar aims/activities; or
c. Reject your new society request.
Why are some new society requests rejected?
- There is already an existing society that has comparable aims and hosts similar events.
- Be sure to review the list of currently affiliated societies before applying!
- The proposed society is sports-based.
- You will likely be redirected to the Athletic Union (AU) if your society is somewhat related to sport, but of course the Societies Committee will reconsider if the AU formally rejects the society proposal.
- The proposed society promotes competing brands/companies.
- This includes specific alcohol brands that are not currently available in the Students' Association.
- The proposed society is exclusive or challenges the values of the Students’ Association.
Step 2: Being granted Leave to Proceed (LTP).
If your new society request is successful, you will be given detailed instrutions on how to fulfil the necessary requirements of affiliation.
This process includes:
- Drafting a Constitution
- Filling out a General Risk Assessment (GRA)
- Compiling a list of 25 paid members (you must charge a minimum of £3.00 as a membership fee and Ordinary Membership must be open to all matriculated students)
- Opening a society bank account
- Signing and submitting an Affiliation Agreement
- Send relevant committee members to President's Training, Treasurer's Training, and Health & Safety Awareness
All these affiliation forms can be found here
You will be sent the weblink to upload all necessary Affilation Paperwork electronically and you must complete society trainings within three weeks of being given LTP.
We recommend attending training before uploading your paperwork. Trainings are held every two weeks on Wednesdays at 3pm in Main Bar. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org
or check the YourUnion calendar
for the next training dates.
Step 3: Upload the Affiliation Paperwork and complete all necessary society trainings.
Once you have met the requirements of affiliation, you will be notified by the Societies Committee and will be given access to all Union affiliated societies resources such as free room bookins and funding.
Congrats on starting your new society!