Listed by University of St Andrews Students' Association
Application deadline: Sun 28 Nov 2021 23:59
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
36.25 per week, including evening and weekend shifts
The University of St Andrews Students’ Association sits at the heart of the Campus - recently voted as No. 1 University in the UK and with a reputation to protect. Our Porters are part of a team that provide essential maintenance and upkeep of the Union Estate and make a significant contribution to the Student Experience. With over 9,000 members and as the primary entertainments venue for students we provide a range of services and support a thriving scene with over 140 affiliated societies
The role, as part of the Facilities and Building Management Team ensure all of our patrons can enjoy the services we offer in a clean, secure and safe environment. Working autonomously or supervising a small team of cleaners, you will be responsible for a variety of tasks ensuring our members have the best experience.
Description of specific duties
- Security and Maintenance Checks
- Keep up to date logbooks including daily incident log
- Ensure rooms and equipment are kept in a safe and secure condition.
- Regular patrolling, both internally & externally, to ensure the security & protection of Association buildings, equipment & users.
- External Works
- Keep piazza & service yard tidy & free of litter, leaves & debris as required.
- Empty waste & cigarette bins.
- Take a proactive approach to grounds issues to ensure that safe, pleasant, smart grounds are maintained.
- Responsibility for the use of the piazza, including traffic control.
- Property Repairs and maintenance
- Replace domestic consumables, light tubes/bulbs, etc., as necessary.
- Effect minor repairs and refurbishments around the building
- Report other faults for repair
- Deliveries, Uplifts, Internal Movement
- Attend to deliveries, receive goods.
- Prepare, uplift and ensure the safe transportation of items for collection
- Drive Association vehicles to deliver/collect items or people as instructed.
- Carry out assembly/disassembly of furniture and fittings.
- Supervision of cleaners (or any ancillary staff of grade 2 or below).
- The custody of keys & the keeping of records, e.g., daily log, fire log.
- Be fully familiar with evacuation procedures and take appropriate action tin case of emergency.
- Keep fire escape doors, corridors and stairways in good order and free from obstructions.
- Dispose of rubbish from areas throughout the building on a regular basis.
- Sweep entranceways and take responsibility for the proper maintenance and cleaning of external fittings which are not part of the cleaner’s routine duties
- Ensure maintenance and safe use of equipment
- Take a proactive approach to facilities issues to ensure that a safe, pleasant and smart workplace is maintained.
- Undertake general cleaning duties as required
- Preparation of rooms for meetings & functions.
- Any other tasks that may be reasonably requested by management.
- Keep an adequate supply of cleaning products including supply of cleaning cloths.
- Essential Criteria
- Requirements without which a candidate would not be able to undertake the full remit of the role. Applicants who have not clearly demonstrated in their application that they possess the essential requirements will normally be rejected at the short listing stage.
- Desirable Criteria
- Requirements which would be useful for the candidate to hold. When short listing, these criteria will be considered when more than one applicant meets the essential requirements.
||Means of assessment
|Education & Qualifications: technical, professional, academic qualifications and training required
||COSHH training, First Aid certificate
||Certificates, application letter, CV
|Experience & Knowledge: examples of specific experience and knowledge sought
||Experience in supervising staff, knowledge of health and safety, especially fire safety
||Experience in student market
||CV, application letter and interview
|Competencies & Skills: effective communication skills, initiative, flexibility, leadership etc.
||Good maintenance skills, Excellent customer service skills, Reliable, Flexible
||CV, application letter, interview