The Societies Committee offers grants to affliated societies. This money comes from profit within the Union bars and cafes.
There are three types of fund that can be applied from:
- Societies Fund
- Charitable Events Fund
- New Societies Fund
We recommend applying for a grant at least two weeks before your event. We strongly discourage retroactive grants.
When should you apply for a Societies Fund Grant or Loan?
Any Societies Fund Grant or Loan is given on the fufilment of the purpose of the Societies Fund which is to:
- Encourage growth and development of Affiliated Societies by:
- Providing startup funding in the form of grants for new projects and events which would further the aims of the Society but would otherwise pose a financial risk to the Society.
- Societies are expected to use information from the project/event to determine whether it is financially viable for the Society to host independent of external funding.
- Providing startup funding in the form of loans for events expected to provide significant income to the Society.
- Providing grants to improve existing projects and events by altering them in a substantial way compared to past versions of the event/project.
- Societies are expected to use information from the project/event to determine whether it is financially viable for the event/project to incorporate these changes independtly from external funding.
- Contribute to the Student Experience for students beyond the memebership of the Society by:
- Providing grants for projects and events which are open and provide benefit for non members of the Society.
- Providing loans for events which are open and provide benefit for non members of the Society but are expected to make a significant income.
- Encourage Collaborative Events and relationships between Allifiated Societies by:
- Providing startup funding in the form of grants for new projects and events hosted by more than one Society.
- Providing grants to improve existing projects and events between more than one Society by altering them in a substantial way compared to past versions of the event/project.
- Improve the reputation of the Society or the Students Association with the local Community by:
- Providing grants for projects and events which expect engagement from members of the local community.
- Providing grants for project which provide a service or benefit to the local community.
When should you apply for a Charitable Events Fund Grant?
Any Charitable Events Fund Grant is given on the fufilment of the purpose of the Charitable Events Fund which is to:
- Encourage Societies to host events aimed at raising money for Charity by meeting or subsidising the cost of hosting to event.
When should you apply for a New Societies Fund Grant?
Any New Societies Fund Grant is given on the fufilment of the purpose of the New Societies Fund which is to:
- Provide financial support to Affiliating Societies to allow them to host events to promote their Society and attract initial members.
- Societies do not need to have setup a bank account in order to claim a grant from the New Societies Fund
- Societies can only recieve one grant from the New Societies Fund
Apply for a grant
Complete a grant form and risk assessment
Download the Grant-Form (.xlsx).
The Grant Form was discussed in Treasurer Training, and all Treasurers have received a guide that covers how to fill out the form. If you have any additional questions, email the Societies Grants Officer at SocGrant@.
You must also submit a risk assessment 14 days before the event. You will not be able to claim a grant if your risk assessment is not approved. You can find information for risk assessments here. Email your completed risk assessment to UnionRA@.
Once you've completed the form, send it to SocGrant@. You may wish to attend the Societies Committee meeting (Wednesday 16:30-17:30 Society Room D) to discuss your grant request. Please email SocGrant@ if you plan to attend.
Reviewing your grant request
Once we've received your grant request and reviewed it with you, your request will be discussed by the committee at their weekly Wednesday committee meeting.
If your grant request is over £500, you must reach out to the Grants' Officer and attend their office hours as well as this you will be asked to attend the Societies Committee Public Meeting to present your request, and answer any questions the Societies Committee may have about the event.
You will hear back by the following Friday, and be informed of the committee's decision.
If you have been successful, the Societies Grants Officer will email you about how much funding have been granted, as well as a Grant Receipt to access the funds.
Claiming your funds
In order to claim your grant funding, your President and Treasurer must sign off on the grant receipt. Please bring your Grant Receipt and valid receipts to the Cash Office to reimburse any expenses. Alternatively you may email the cash office UnionFinance@ with an invoice for any purchases you wish them to make for you, up to the value of the Grant.
If you have any questions about the grants process, you can email the Societies Officer via socs@.