As a condition of affiliation, certain democratic standards must be met. A General Meeting is a way for society members to contol how their society is run; as such, General Meetings have to be open for all members to attend.
Below are steps for running your society's Annual General Meeting (AGM), as well as any Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs).
Before your AGM/EGM
- Inform all society members of the date, time, and location of the General Meeting at least 14 days in advance.
- Inform the Societies Committee via SocElect@.
- Circulate a list of available committee positions
- Give notice of any constitutional changes that will be made
During your AGM/EGM
The Societies Committee will send someone to your AGM/EGM if you would like help running the meeting.
Our AGM Guide can help you in running a General Meeting. It includes detailed information about what must be addressed at General Meetings, how to make changes to your society constitution, who is eligible to run for a committee position, and how to count single-transferable votes (STV).
The AGM checklist or EGM checklist must be signed and completed by the incoming President and Treasurer, to guide you throughout the General Meeting ensuring that the everything runs smoothly, and all necessary items of business are discussed.
- The General Meeting must not have any admission charge.
- Only paid members of the society may vote in elections.
- Any paid ordinary member of your society may run for any position.
- To run for a position, a member must have paid membership before notice of the General Meeting was given to all members. Anyone who pays thier membership fee after notice of the General Meeting was issued is not eligible to vote in the election.
- Don't forget to re-approve your society's annual membership fee, President's report, and Treasurer's report.
After your AGM/EGM
Update your constitution with any amendmants. For guidance on writing your society's constitution see our Model Constitution (.docx).
If you would like us to look over your constitution, bring it to the weekly Societies Committee Officer Hours (4-6pm Mondays in Main Bar).