The 2020 Students' Association Elections rules & regulations are available here
The rules are interpreted and amended by the Elections Committee at 5pm daily during the elections period, and it is the candidates responsibility to keep on top of updates which are published on this page
The rules & regulations for the Students' Association Elections 2020 have been approved the SRC, SSC, and the Elections Committee. The Elections Committee is tasked to make sure that all candidates in the Students' Association Elections 2020 adhere to these rules.
If you have any questions, you can email the Elections Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org, or come to the drop-in Elections Office between 10am and 5pm on weekdays in Weeks 5 & 6 in the Advocacy Office (first floor of the Students' Association, opposite the stairs).
Campaign Rule Updates
The Elections Committee is empowered by resolution of the Students' Association Councils to amend or interpret the rules according to situations which arise throughout the campaign period. The committee meets at 5pm each night to discuss any amendments or clarifications to the rules.
Updates are in bold.
27th February 2020
2.1. Eligibility — An individual can run for any position listed above, as long as they:
• Are a matriculated student at the University of St Andrews for the full term of the position.
• Are an ordinary member of the Students’ Association for the full term of the position.
3rd March 2020
5.21. Prohibited Activity, Joint Campaigning - Candidates may have multiple facebook frames on their personal facebook profile pictures (Clarification)
5.10. Prohibited activity, personal attacks — Candidates are encouraged to share and debate ideas related to the positions up for election, using constructive criticism where relevant. No candidate may use a personal attack on any other candidate for any reason, or orchestrate one from another source.
February 2020 Rule Updates
Candidates should be aware of the following rules updates implemented since last campaign cycle.
- Clarification has been issued on campaigning in anonymous Facebook pages (e.g. St Andrews Crushes V). This is subject to rule 5.16, prohibiting online campaigning that automatically includes an individual without their consent to be a part of it.
The Elections Committee is made up of twenty one students and all of them remain neutral during elections:
- Director of Wellbeing and Senior Elections Officer
- Association President
- Director of Education
- Director of Student Development and Activities
- Director of Events and Services
- Athletic Union President
- Three SSC Representatives
- Three SRC Representatives
- Senior Academic Representative, Arts & Divinity
- Senior Academic Representative, Science & Medicine
- 7 Co-opted Members
The Senior Elections Officer is assisted by four Deputy Elections Officers.