Director of Events & Services
About the Role
Read the Director of Events and Services's full role description.
I am Lucy Brook, the Director of Events and Services at the Students' Association. As the Director of Events and Services (DoES), I have the exciting responsibility of planning and implementing an incredible entertainment schedule for the Association. Not only that, but I also play a crucial strategic role in our commercial services.
My primary focus is on creating unforgettable experiences for students. I work tirelessly to provide excellent commercial services and organize events that students will cherish forever. In my role as a trustee of the Students' Association, I oversee all its functions as a charity and proudly represent the student body.
Here are some of my key responsibilities:
Organizing Entertainments and Events: I take overall responsibility for planning and organizing various events, including Freshers' Week, Refreshers' Week, Graduation Ball, and weekly events at our Union building. I ensure that these events are engaging and enjoyable for everyone.
Promotion and Publicity: I work closely with our Design and Marketing Manager to ensure that all our events and services receive suitable publicity. By effectively promoting our offerings, we can reach a wider audience and make a lasting impact.
Collaboration with External Bodies: I regularly liaise with external bodies, including the University, to address event-related issues and coordinate commercial services. Building strong relationships with these entities is crucial for the success of our initiatives.
Venue Bookings: As the Director of Events and Activities, I hold overall responsibility for managing bookings in our Association venues. This ensures that our events run smoothly and that all logistical aspects are well-coordinated.
Student Representation and Input: I actively gather input from the student body to develop a strategic overview of our commercial services and activities. Alongside the Operations Manager, I contribute to decision-making processes and represent the interests of students.
Committee Management: I act as the line manager for several committees, including the Entertainments Committee (Ents), Broadcasting Committee (STAR), Music Fund, Arts Festival (OTR), and Performing Arts Committee (Mermaids).
Discipline Committee: I act as chair and convenor for the Discipline Committee, this is where appeals are heard for disciplinary actions given out by the Students' Association.
As a dedicated member of the Students' Association team, I actively collaborate with other sabbatical officers to create a supportive and engaging environment for all students.
I am truly passionate about providing exceptional events and services for our student community. With my expertise and commitment, I strive to make your time at our Association truly memorable. Feel free to reach out to me with any suggestions, ideas, or feedback.
Here are a few of my achievement from this past year:
- Helped create a technical department in the Union allowing the Union to provide events with reliable high-quality tech as well as support the students who provide these services
- Ensured a price freeze on all entry and drink prices - with the cost-of-living crisis, I have worked hard to ensure prices are not raised throughout the year
- Work to diversify night-time offering - I have reintroduced 'Beats and Bargains', I have also worked with Jazzworks to ensure they feel supported to be able to continue delivering the weekly Jazz Jams
- Introduced drinks deals on Saturday through Tuesday nights to provide cheaper options on a night out
- Created the ‘Pause’ collaboration initiative, working with student groups to bring club nights catered to student interest at no cost to the group
- Increased the availability of cloakroom volunteering as a way for student groups to raise money
- Ensured Sinners feel unique - by working with both the Union and Sinners teams to make Sinners different with new layout, special drinks, and themes
- New Sound System in 601 - I have supported the proposal and approval of a new sound system for 601 and StAge, which will hopefully be installed this year when the venue reopens - this will increase the quality of the events in the venue and allow us to promote the Union
- Bop Themes decided by students by using submissions to the online suggestions page - I have produced Bops that students what to see Organised a successful series of one off events, including Freshers and Refreshers as well as REWIND, Halloween and Winter Wonderland I have organised many well attended events