About the Position
Sachin Manoj Mortley Shah, as the Disability Officer, leads the Disabled Students' Network (DSN) to represent disabled students to the Students' Association and the University, and ensures that disabled students have equal opportunities to non-disabled students.
Specifically, the Disability Officer:
- Chairs and leads the DSN, a Subcommittee of the Students’ Association
- Assists DSN committee members with their duties
- Has access to the DSN email account, and arranges access for appropriate committee members
- Sits on the Students’ Representative Council, and Equality Committee
- Represents disabled students, and ensure Association policy considers the impact on disabled students
- Liaises with Student Services, the Careers Centre, the Director of Wellbeing and Equality, and other members of Councils where appropriate
- Increases awareness of the issues affecting disabled students and the support available to them
- Attends meetings of Association committees and University working groups
- Chairs the Disability and Academic Support Rep Forum with Disability Reps in each School at least twice per academic year
Role holders take office in April and end their term the following March. On average, the Disability Officer spends between 10 and 20 hours per week on their role.