The Scott Lang Dinner is an annual dinner for both staff and students. It is a joint venture between the Students' Association and the Principal's Office.
The dinner was founded in 2012 and is named for Peter Redford Scott Lang, who’s contributions to the University are numerous. Highlights include his fundraising activities that helped to buy the property at 79 North Street that served as the first Union building, as well as insisting that students in his class, as well as those who attended chapel, be required to wear their academic gowns. But his most important contribution, per the dinner, was his institution of ‘Common Dinners’ in the 1880s. The original purpose of the dinners was to enable students to have a “decent and varied diet,” but ended up meaning much more than that to some. In 1926, L.J.D. Gibson wrote this about the dinners:
The dinner is designed to encourage interaction across interests in all areas of the University community and is open to all staff and students. Seating is deliberately mixed across tables of ten to promote discussion between students and staff.