Hi! My name is Ruairidh Maciver, and I'm your Association Chair!
I convene and chair all meetings of the SRC (Students' Representative Council), the SSC (Student Services Council and SAEC (The Students' Association Executive Committee). So many acronyms...but the Association isn't/shouldn't be all innacessabile jargon. It is here to work in your interest.
Here is a little bit about how I fit into all of this/what I intend to do:
1. Chair Meetings
This consists of making sure that the decisions of Councils are debated fairly and efficiently
2. Chief Administrative Officer
I am responsible for updating the Laws, the Standing Orders, the meeting schedule, the agenda, the minutes, keeping track of councillors attendance etc.
I advise the Sabbatical Officers and other members of Councils on the drafting of motions and the implementation of policy and change
I can also advise you on how to do this. There are mechanisms in the Students' Association which allow you to use your voice.
- All the meetings of the Students' Association Councils are open!
- There is an open forum in the introductory part of the meetings of SRC/SSC which any student is welcome to speak during provided that they seek recognition from the Chair (me!) before the meeting begins.
- You can seek recognition from the Chair during debate on motions in order to ask (up to two questions) to the councillors
- You can bring a petition to the SRC/SSC!
- You can find more information about all of this here.
- You can also ask me for advice by emailing me at sachair@.
4. Promote Accessibility and Transparency
It is your Union, your Councils and so surely you should be able to know what is going on?
-In order to achieve better accessibility and transparency there will be:
- Better training for your councillors
- More information about who your councillors are
- More active use of Social Media to keep you up to date
- Open surgeries before SRC/SSC with relevant members
- Information available about how to get involved at the Freshers' Fayre and throughout the year
I would love to hear from you, if you have any questions feel free to contact me! My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Also make sure to like Association Councils on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!