Opting Out Of Association Membership
All students have the right under the 1994 Education Act not to be a member of the Students’ Association. If you want to exercise this right, you need to let us know. Simply contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with the words ‘Membership Opt-Out’ in the title of the email. You will need to tell us your matriculation number and University email address. We will then contact you and if you confirm to us your intention to opt out, we will immediately remove you from our membership and notify the University that you are no longer a member of the Association.
The University and the Association are committed to ensuring that all students are dealt with in a fair manner and that students who choose to opt out of membership are not unfairly disadvantaged. Notwithstanding this, for various reasons there will be some aspects of the Association that non-members can’t take part in. What this means for opted out members specifically is:
- You will be able to make appointments to see our advice staff as normal for help with problems such as appeals, complaints and University discipline.
- You can use any of our commercial services, but for those such as bars that are available only to members, you have to sign in as a guest.
- You won’t be able to sign in guests yourself.
- You won't be able to stand for election to any position in the Association. You also can’t nominate someone else to stand, or vote for candidates in those positions.
- You can’t vote in referendums or general meetings either.
- You won’t be considered a member of the various Association subcommittees, that is, Mermaids, SVS, Debates, STAR, Charities, or Music Is Love. This might restrict your ability to participate in some of their activities.
- You may be able to join affiliated student societies, depending on their own constitution, but it’s unlikely you would be able to hold posts such as president or treasurer.
If at a later point in your time at St Andrews, you want to opt back in to membership, you should contact us on email@example.com with the words ‘Membership Opt-In’ in the title of your email, giving us your matriculation number and University email address, as above.
If you have any questions about opting out and its effects, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.