



Disabled Students' Network Committee Meeting

St Andrews Students' Association

17th September 2020, 5pm

In Attendance:

Anna-Ruth Cockerham - *SRC Member for Students with Disabilities*

Molly Paechter - *Deputy Convenor*

Kristina Kumpf - *Events Officer*

Jane Yarnell - *Secretary*

Kiera Obi - *Neurodiversity Representative*

Emma MacAndrews - *Physical Disability Representative*

Apologies:

Emma Walsh - *Director of Wellbeing*

Natalya Stone - *Mental Health Representative*

Maddy Shephard - *Campaigns and Publicity Officer*

Minutes:

ARC: I passed two motions at the SRC this week, one to adopt the accessibility pledge, which passed unanimously.

ARC: The second motion was affiliate the DSN, and we are now a subcommittee of the SRC. There are four new positions added and a vacancy from a resignation last semester. That motion also passed unanimously.

ARC: Class rep nominations and elections: all the class reps get to do these things called expansion packs. This year there are two extras, one for online learning and remote learning in particular, and one for disability. This year all schools will have a disability rep and training will be rolled out for all the reps, with meetings twice a semester to talk about any issues existing within their department. It would be useful to encourage disabled students who be interested in being a class rep to run and do the additional training.

ARC: Mask exemptions. There have been a lot of questions, and student services have given me an update. I suggested that the sunflower lanyards might not be a great path to go down, because they have been associated with unpleasant news stories and would have been mandated. Currently, they are planning to go forward with a plan combining the lanyards and a card from the university from students

wanting to be more subtle. I know people were interested in ways to raise awareness of mask exemptions.

MP: Is the university planning any campaigns to raise awareness about mask exemptions?

ARC: I don't have any input about those plans, but I passed on information about many students being uncomfortable with information about discipline for infractions being passed around without information about exemptions.

EM: I don't know if you know about visors versus masks being worn?

ARC: During the meeting we discussed information that the university is sending around about inclusive teaching, I suggested that they try to offer alternative face coverings instead of visors in that scenario.

MP: I would worry that if we publicise more info about mask alternatives, it will give people more ammo for being unpleasant about exemptions for people who can do none of the options.

EM: It also matters that for some people wearing a mask isn't the issue, the fact that they can't understand people wearing masks is the issue. So that will need to be addressed as well.

ARC: I think we have two different issues here, information about mask exemptions and how teaching will work for those with mask exemptions.

ARC: Some students also don't have full exemptions, but experience a lot of discomfort wearing them. So we should also try to have information about how to make masks more comfortable, from different materials to things that make masks easier for ears or for glasses wearers.

MP: I think we may be focusing on the wrong angle, because most people with mask exemptions already know that they can't wear masks and how they manage that.

ARC: I think it is still difficult to find info about what works, so we can still help with that and it will be pretty quick. I think we should encourage mask wearing, because it makes people safer, and also encourage people to be aware of mask exemptions.

EM: I think as well we have difficulties with that St. Andrews is a small town, so people know everyone and it will make variable mask wearing more complicated. Some people have had difficulties with the way people interpret variable mask wearing.

ARC: I think we should wrap this up now so we can get along with the rest of the agenda, but the way I'm visualizing this is that there would be one post with info on different masks, one about mask exemptions, ect.

JY: I can do some info on adaptive PPE

MP: I can do a write up about masks exemptions

KO: I can do graphics if the info is there.

ARC: Disability pride week

ARC: Teams links: I just want to confirm a medium for each event. I know that most of the events are on teams, have I missed any?

ARC: We also need to pick a third event for the all-student email, right now we have the panel and the art competition.

ARC: KK wants to include the neurodiversity talks on the email. I was going to do that or the accessibility pledge

ARC: I think we can put the neurodiversity talks in.

ARC: One of the things I need everyone who is on the committee to do is share our events on social media, invite friends, and come to events.

ARC: Next up is the SHAG week event, that is progressing fine.

ARC: The second-last point is that there are 5 vacant positions on the committee. The first 3 are EGM positions, the chronic illness rep, the first year rep and the postgrad rep. The other two, treasurer and accessibility officer, are interviewed positions. Is everyone in agreement to get everything together for those positions in the next few weeks?

ARC: Is there any other business?

EM: Is it only Union-Affiliated societies that can sign up to the accessibility pledge?

ARC: No, but the reporting process is different.

JY: Would it be possible to do a survey about how well accommodations have been transferred to online?

ARC: That is my job as a disability representative, and I'm currently thinking about other ways to get information about things like that. I'm thinking about a feedback form or office hours. I'll try to get that set up.

ARC: Any other business?

ARC: Thank you for coming everyone, meeting adjourned