You will be responsible, alongside our catering supervisor and other colleagues, for preparing, selling and serving a variety of hot and cold food and beverages across our range of catering operations. This will involve weekend working and exact shifts may vary according to the needs of the operation with later finishes at particular times of year.
Essential personal qualities
- Customer service focus
- Passion for catering
- Able to produce food to a consistently high standard
- Willing to learn new skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Attention to detail
Description of specific duties
- Cooking and preparation of hot and cold food and beverages for sale direct to the customer.
- Serving customers to the highest standard with hot and cold food and beverages.
- Adhere to the Health and Hygiene procedures within the catering operation.
- Cleaning the kitchen and dining areas on a daily basis including dishwashing.
- Maintaining correct food storage and stock rotation.
- Routine ordering and checking of deliveries.
- Routine completion of Cooksafe and other relevant paperwork.
- Assisting with stocktaking as and when required.
- Stay in touch with current food trends, contributing to development of ideas for menus/specials for both daily use and functions.
- Working on functions and larger events which may include weekend work, setup and clearing up afterwards.
||Means of assessment
|Education & Qualifications (technical, professional, academic qualifications and training required)
- Food safety certification
- Catering/hospitality qualifications
- First Aid qualification
|Certificates, application letter, CV
|Experience & Knowledge (examples of specific experience and knowledge sought)
|CV, application letter and interview
|Competencies & Skills (effective communication skills, initiative, flexibility, leadership etc.)
- Good customer service skills
- Good team working skills
- Cooking skills
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Home baking skills
|CV, application letter, interview
- Essential criteria
- Requirements without which a candidate would not be able to undertake the full remit of the role. Applicants who have not clearly demonstrated in their application that they possess the essential requirements will normally be rejected at the short listing stage.
- Desirable criteria
- Requirements which would be useful for the candidate to hold. When short listing, these criteria will be considered when more than one applicant meets the essential requirements.
The University of St Andrews Students’ Association sits at the heart of the Campus - recently voted as No. 1 University in the UK and with a reputation to protect. With over 9,000 members we are the primary student venue in St Andrews’ and support a thriving student scene with over 140 affiliated societies.
The Catering Operation forms an intrinsic part of the Student Experience and completes the range of services we provide including advice, representation, and entertainments in our four bars. Our offering straddles two café sites and food provision from our Main Bar, we also deliver a number of external catering events throughout the year and support the local community out with term time.
We are committed to promoting diversity and equality for all and welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds. We particularly aim to include applicants with disabilities, from BAME backgrounds, and those with diverse sexualities or marginalised gender identities.