SD Society Meeting Minutes
Monday 12th May 2008
Present: Amanda, Rachel, Claire, Dylan, Linnea, Paddy, Michael, Rebecca, Mariella, Nicola
- Dylan will update about WSCSD application status during next fortnight
- Nicola, Rachel, Amanda, Dylan to meet Kayta from UNYSA 26th May 3pm North Point to plan and discuss teaching SD at primary and secondary local schools
- Linnea to cancel Traidcraft order for hoodies
- Rachel and Clair meeting to design logo and place t-shirt order
- Each committee member to identify two companies which they will send sponsorship letter (draft on uni. Server) to…members allocated already:
- Nicola – Innocent Smoothies & Cream O’ Galloway Dairy
- Amanda – Ecotricity & Scottish Natural Heritage
- Mariella – Fairmont Hotel & Royal & Ancient Golf Club
- Rachel - Falkland Centre for Stewardship
- Dylan to contact Family First (Befriending) coordinator about integrating program with Permaculture
- Michael to call Bellfield about donating local, organic food for Sept. BBQ
- Rebecca to contact Pillars of Hercules about giving food for BBQ
- Application sent off last week, first response that it looks good and will find out soon if we are accepted
- SASI/SDC (Sustainable Development Commission) Workshop 5-8pm at The Scores Hotel tomorrow
- Katya (UNYSA Outreach Program)
- Can’t guarantee colors or two week deadline
- Decision to cancel order with Traidcraft and scrap recycled hoodies idea until next semester when we will place larger order with new members
- Decision to use money collected to purchase t-shirts from “I Dress Myself” (http://www.idressmyself.co.uk/)
- “I Dress Myself is an ethically run screen-printing studio based in the heart of Nottingham. We were the first T-shirt printing business in the UK to use 100% solvent free, water based textile inks for all of our garment printing. We only source organic cotton and sustainable bamboo garments. We also screen print posters and art prints using water based inks on premium recycled paper.”
- When should we send out letters? Before/after summer? Who do we target? Sustainable companies only or non-sustainable companies? Difficult decisions….
- Jan gave a list including Innocent Smoothies, Ecotricity, Fairmont Hotel, Royal & Ancient Golf Club, Michelin in Dundee
- Should we ask them to change some of their practices (ie stakeholder engagement) pressure them to show change?
- Folder on University server
- Username “sdsocmail” and password same as email log-in
- Find the sponsorship letter template there, and next meeting we will decide to send letters
- Not confirmed for Mansfield Garden space for Fresher’s BBQ (because not a “Faith” group so can only book week of event) the secretary said we will probably be able to use it in Sept.
- Promote Speakers, how?
- Is it actually being taken care of? (Hannah Plandt)
- Plans for school children to take care of it?
- Schools can choose to become “Eco-schools”
- We could opt to show the school how to become more ecological, after school club developed?
- Final SD Soc meeting for t-shirts, Permaculture, sponsorship 26th May @ 6 Greyfriars 7pm