Hope you're all excited to get a fresh start with the society, some great ideas
were aired today! Ok, here come the minutes:
The core focus of SDsoc was discussed, what direction and scale we are going to
be operating in for the coming year.
We more or less reached the consensus that the profile of the society will
- raising awareness of the principles of SD, (especially on a smaller, more
manageable scale)in order to increase the implementation of these principles.
- the sphere of our focus would be within 3 areas:
1. Among the student body, the most easily targeted and susceptible group
2. Within the university, staff, sasi, estates etc. http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sasi/home/ (for those of you not familiar with it)
3. Within the local st andrews and fife council community
- Liase with other societies, potentially to cooperate with future events
Starfields? Fashion Shows? Balls? etc.
- Liase with departments and individual lecturers etc. to set up academic side
of the Society, future debates, guest speakers etc.
- We discussed the importance of fostering an image of the society which appeals
to ALL brackets of students, how can SD be effective if it does not reach out to
We also discussed how the meetings ought to be structured
1-1 1/2 hr sessions, chaired by the P. and VP, where the first half is dedicated
to Agenda matters, and the second half to debate on SD issues.
. Compile contact list, lecurters, council etc (Dylan & will do that)
. Consitution (extract it from the union somehow)
. Website - if you know anyone computer literate, can they help?
. Venue for next year, stick with Mansfield or find a suitable pub?
- Recycle clothing event
- Rebeccas idea of a music event, could be amazing!
- plus hosting talks & debates, screening films & documentaries
Hopefully that covered most of what we talked about. Have a great break and see
you in the Mansfield! (Sciehallion (!) I think is the name of the room, it's